Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Tide is Out


Our family dynamic has some ebb and flow built into it. Monkey and Peanut come and go between our house and their mom's. Our house is their primary residence so having a total of five is our norm but they are gone often enough that we have a routine for when they are gone too.

Moms, especially the stay-at-home variety, don't usually get days off but this fluctuation in numbers gives me some days of relative leisure. (There are a few good things about co-parenting with the ex.) I usually look forward to the quiet house, the chance to run errands with just one child, the freedom to focus on my own development, and on giving undivided attention to Puddin'. These are good days for me. Then Monkey and Peanut come back, either the next day or after the weekend, and that's good too. Puddin' loves her sisters and follows them around the house giggling. I love working with Monkey and Peanut on projects in the kitchen, listening to their stories, and generally enjoy the company.

This past weekend Stan and I drove Monkey and Peanut to their grandparents' house down South and left them there for the whole month. I've had the normal day with our smaller family and I keep thinking about when Monkey and Peanut get here later today; I remind myself they're not coming. I know they're having a wonderful time with extended family: swimming lessons, rehearsing plays, tending the garden, making pompoms, walking the dog. I know this time is very, very good for them. I also know that this time has great potential for our smaller family. Stan and I have more flexible time. We can do projects around the house, more easily go on dates, take a few day trips - our July list is very long. But as much as I love quiet and freedom, I miss those girls. I look forward to the return of natural flow at the end of the month, when the tide comes back in, bringing its wealth of possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really nice post, and I hope you can archive it or print it out and save it for when all three of them get older. I hope they're having a wonderful time down South!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully stated!

    ReplyDelete