Friday, June 26, 2009

MAN Shiraz

MAN Vintners
Shiraz 2007
South Africa
under $10, of course

I'm used to Australian Shiraz with really big fruit that attacks the palate in unsophisticated but pleasant ways. MAN Vintners Shiraz isn't like that it all. The taste was so far from what I expected that if it hadn't been for the screw cap I might have said the bottle was corked. This wine has a wonderful musty flavor to it - kind of mushroomy. After reading a little about the growing conditions I understand much more clearly. The vines for this shiraz grow in slate soil, which gives the grapes plenty of character and depth.

While the initial taste is delightful the finish is not as impressive. After the wine goes down the flavor dilutes and goes a little murky. It's not bad, it's just lackluster. Honestly, this is where many value wines show their faults so I certainly don't fault MAN Vintners on the matter - I just wish it were different. The solution to this little problem is to drink more, which I will certainly be doing both tonight and in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment