Wednesday, July 29, 2009

New Shoes


Yesterday I finally broke down and bought new running shoes. My knees, ankles, and shins have been begging for them for a while but the shoes that fit my skinny little feet are not a payless purchase. This morning I went for my first run with the new shoes. I had hoped that the shoes would carry a level of excitement all their own and offer some extra oomph. It didn't turn out that way.

A few months ago I set up a plan in which I HAVE TO run every Monday, Wednesday, & Friday. I usually take Puddin' in the jogging stroller and sometimes have Monkey & Peanut on their bikes. On rainy days I still have to go out but I get the luxury of going by myself. This is the first time in my life that I've been able to keep up a consistent exercise plan for any length of time and I'm pretty proud of myself for the endeavor so far.

At the beginning of the summer I was running a lovely little loop through the neighborhood past some gorgeous lawns and under lots of trees. I like this route a lot but it's too short. I made the decision that fitness demands more mileage so I went back to a longer route I've run in the past that is down a more major road with more traffic and little natural beauty to encourage me. Since making this shift I have been an unhappy runner. I'm still going three times a week but I don't want to. Let's do that again but this time imagine it with full whine - but I don't want to! This is not sustainable.

My shiny new shoes helped a little today. Running without aches helps relieve both physical and mental stress on the matter. Given my love of shoes, though, I had expected a bigger boost of motivation. This problem is bigger than shoes can fix and I'm currently at a loss. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment