Monday, June 22, 2009

Farallon Chardonnay


Today's wine is Farallon Central Coast Chardonnay 2006. Once again, under $10, which is our general price point for every day dinner wines these days.

The wine has a tangy - almost fizzy - character to start. After being in the mouth for a minute the feel mellows a bit and the tart green apple and taste comes through. Honestly there's not much remarkable about the wine. It went nicely with our dinner (turkey with mustard tarragon sauce) which is all we asked of it. On a hot summer day, it soothes adequately but I'm still not likely to seek it out in the future. Of course, to be fair, this is a little late for a 2006 chard of this quality. Maybe the more recent vintages would present more pleasantly. I read at least one glowing review for the 2007 - maybe they know something I don't.

I don't know anything about this label so I went online for some background info on the folks making the wine. An hour on Google and I still don't know any more than I started with. Nobody seems to claim this wine. That mystery intrigues me more than the wine itself. Let me know if you find any clues.

P.S. At my husband's suggestion I checked out Microsoft's new search engine, Bing. (Fabulous home page fun, btw.) Two minutes brought me this little tidbit - Farallon is owned by Pacific Wine Partners which owns a lot of other value brands. They have a list of "celebrated brands," many of which I enjoy, but they don't list Farallon anywhere on their very limited site. I can't find dates on any of the info so I wouldn't consider this definitive data. Still, we do have a winner here - score one point for Microsoft and Bing.

No comments:

Post a Comment