Friday, June 26, 2009

A couple of Cinderellas


This has been a rough week at our house. It's the first full week of summer vacation so we're all getting used to the new routine and to spending so much time together. We had a family meeting to come up with rules of conduct and a chore list. Both Monkey & Peanut contributed and agreed. It was a lovely pedagogical event. Since then, both Monkey & Peanut are acting as if the documents - which are hanging on the fridge - don't exist. This makes for not-at-all-lovely events around the house.

They wanted to make potions and marinades and other such things mixing water with greenery outside. "Sure - just make sure you clean up when you're done." They tried to carry the dripping containers covered in wet leaves back into the house. "It's the best we could do!" I sent them back out with a roll of paper towels. I'm wicked.

They love to change clothes multiple times a day. We don't usually let them, since the burden of laundry falls exclusively on me. During the summer Monkey & Peanut agreed to be totally responsible for their clothes so that they can change clothes at will. They're headed out of town for the weekend with their mom and asked if I'm going to wash their clothes while they're gone. "Hmmm ... no." So today they're washing, drying and folding in the midst of all their playing. They're upset at the disruption and angry that I'm making them finish it all before they leave today. Wicked, wicked stepmother.

All the step-parenting books out there say not to step into disciplinary roles, which should be saved for the biological parents. We can't very well do that around here so I find myself fighting a constant PR battle. "I love you. I like you. I want good things for you. Now go clean your room." This week I've been so frustrated - "Don't provoke your sister. We don't pour water on the basement carpet. Yelling during naptime is not acceptable." - and I'm losing that PR battle. They don't like me much this week. Mommy & Daddy are, of course, perfect parents who would never make them pick up their toys or clean a bathroom. "Life would be better if you would just go away. Leave Puddin' here though - we like her."

A few hours later, when they've played happily for a little while, they're excited to invite me into their play. All is pushed aside even if it isn't actively forgiven. Sometimes that fickle love can work to my advantage. Maybe someday, when we've gotten through the drama and are all mature adults, I'll take some time to re-write the fairytale from the stepmother's perspective. I wonder if maybe she's not as bad as the kid makes her out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment