Thursday, June 18, 2009

Herding Cats

Before my glamorous life as a mom I worked in the wine business. I don't miss going to the office every day but I miss being in that world. I miss the first sip of an unfamiliar wine. I miss swishing and sniffing, detailing the faint flavors and aromas that hit my senses. Since this blog is an attempt at keeping my distinct identity it makes sense - to me at least - that I "review" the wines Stan and I are having here in our house.

Herding Cats, Merlot/Pinotage 2007
South Africa
Imported by Underdog Wine Merchants
Purchased at Total Wine for under $10

I have to admit I picked this one for the name. I'm not usually so swayed by labels but given how I spend my days, I was drawn to this one. Dinner tonight involved a peppered roast so I chose what I thought would be a very robust wine. My first sips with dinner were disappointing. The flavor was ok but thin. The wine couldn't quite hold up to the strong tastes in the main course and I found myself wishing I'd gone for something more classic like a malbec or a CA merlot.

Now that the kids have gone to bed I'm returning to the wine. As an end of the day sipper I'm enjoying it more. The first thing I notice is a bright acidity that comes from the Pinotage portion. It's not overly fruity, with slightly metallic overtones. After savoring for a moment the Merlot kicks in. It's almost like having the sub-woofer suddenly turn on - without warning there's a thumping down low, with nice (albeit immature) tannins to bring in some balance.

Overall it's a decent wine. Not a show-stopper but a nice everyday wine. Word to the wise - when pairing with food think more along the lines of a strong Pinot Noir than of Merlot. It might also be worth noting that this company has a number of value wines, both imported and domestic, that have surprised me.

(Please note that the picture, which I borrowed from Underdog's site, is of the Chenin Blanc/Chardonnay, not of the Merlot/Pinotage.)

No comments:

Post a Comment