Thursday, June 18, 2009

Last Day of School


The time when Monkey and Peanut are at school is my productive time. I can get housework done, catch up on email, play guitar, go for a run, or any number of things. It's a little hampered by Puddin' but she's fairly cooperative so most of the time I can get through my list. Today, however, is the last day of the school year. I have a mere 3 hours today and then we're a gaggle of four all day long.

I'm looking forward to certain things - no homework to monitor, for one. I'm also looking forward to museum trips, science experiments, reading together, bike rides, and on and on. What I'm not looking forward to is pulling in the reins. The kids - Monkey in particular - tend to get destructive if they're not bounded by structure. A day at home with them becomes a constant race to stay one step ahead of their activities. If they get bored before I get to them then they decide to cut something to bits or dig up the flowers or wrestle a sister to the ground on the concrete. I become weary from the constant monitoring and get grumpy. They get annoyed at my grumpiness and start to act out. Puddin' gets stressed out by the stress and clings ever tighter. It's not a pretty sight.

Don't get me wrong - it's not all bad. On good days they make fabulously creative toys out of cardboard, spend hours exploring the yard with magnifying glasses, volunteer to help with the housework, and read to their baby sister. On those days I often find myself sitting back, watching what wonderful people they are, grateful for the honor of being in their lives.

I sent the girls to bed last night, myself dreaming of relaxing summer days. This morning was more the unpleasant sort, though. I hope I can muster enough energy to make this afternoon lovely and laid-back. With a little luck and a little prayer, maybe I can pull it off. Ready or not, summer is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment