Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How did this happen?

I woke up at 5:45 this morning to the sounds of Puddin' wailing. I jumped up in vain hopes that if I got to her quick enough maybe no one else would wake up. I briefly considered trying to coax the darling to go back to sleep but then she signaled her desire for food and milk - so much for sleep.

Puddin' and I sat on the kitchen floor playing the quiet game for a minute or two when in walked Stan. He started the coffee, let out Zero, and started conversation. Around 6:00 Monkey and Peanut were moving about, and Tsunami was howling. By 6:15 everyone was dressed and just like that we were off and running.

I'd love to tell you that this was a big trip day, or that this is out of the ordinary. I'd even settle for telling you how graciously I've adapted to this wrinkle in my life. Instead I usually sit and pout. I drink my coffee in the midst of chaos rather than my preferred peace and brood woefully on the fact that I am outnumbered.

I'm introverted, quiet, serious. I am independent. I crave solitary contemplation and study. I'm also married with two gorgeous step-daughters, a precocious toddler, a dog and a cat. I'm outnumbered.

There's a multitude of mom blogs out there, with subcategories for step and blended and such. I don't pretend that I have some great wisdom that makes mine worth adding to the list. Honestly, I don't know if I'll even make it public. My reason for writing is simply to stake my claim, to stand my ground, to try to keep my sense of self and my sanity in the midst of loving these voracious minds and hearts. I love my family and I love my life. Mama just needs a little space.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! I think you'll fit in just fine with us bloggers... :)

    Love your first entries!

    ReplyDelete