Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Oodles of Rocks

We have oodles of rocks at our house. Big, smooth, pretty river rocks. I'd love them if there weren't so gosh darn many of them. Stan has been digging a lot lately, trying to finally kill the leftover roots from the holly bushes we took out a few years ago, and in doing so has unearthed a whole lot more rocks. I've been trying to figure out uses for them other than filling buckets.

I see decorated rocks for sale sometimes for outrageous prices. I suppose I could start decorating our rocks and see if anyone would buy them. My skills in visual arts aren't up to a commercial standard, though. Not to mention, I don't see myself learning to etch rock anytime soon. I've tried to pawn some off on my mother, who is more crafty than I am. She hasn't bitten yet, though. Maybe if I get her granddaughters to make the offer she'd fall for it.

One of the things I've done is create borders around some of our planting spaces. I haven't figured out the secret to making it pretty yet, but I'm enjoying the result temporarily. [I don't think Stan likes my rock border much so temporary might not last long at all.] It serves as a boundary so I know where to stop yanking plants and the young man from down the street knows where to stop mowing. All the grass-like stuff stays in the yard and the flowers and bushes are contained in the bed.

I'm working on carefully placing rock borders internally too. "I understand you're disappointed to see me rather than your mother. It's ok to feel that way, and it's even ok to tell me. It not ok to take out your anger on me." "I know you intended to do the job but you didn't. When you don't keep your promises it's hard to trust you." Each time I say one of these things, something inside me cries out "they're just kids - give them a break! Can't they have just one more chance?" I want to give endless second chances. I want to make life easier for them, even if it means I do more than my fair share. But I have to keep the parent-like things in my yard, and leave the kid-things on the other side for them to sort out.

No comments:

Post a Comment