Thursday, July 8, 2010

Have guitar, will travel

This is my first post in quite a long time. I started one a while back and then realized that there wasn't much point to it - it was, in fact, rather boring. Basically it boils down to my kids are smart and I don't let them get bored because I have no tolerance for the whining or fighting.

So that's pretty much been my days. In the evening I tend to crash from all the expended energy and enthusiasm. Some nights I'll try and get a little cleaning done but that makes me more grumpy so I generally just deal with the mess. There hasn't been much room for pondering or creativity. Of course, that's also part of why I'm grumpy and drained but that's a whole other matter.

Earlier this week, out of the blue, Puddin' looked at me and said "Mama, I like how you sing." "Oh," I said, "you like it when I sing?" "Yeah. So booful." Then later at the grocery store she started singing and I tried to join in. "No, it's my turn. You no sing now." and sang even louder down the cereal aisle.

Last week Peanut - the resident rocker - asked me to spend some time painting with her. This is pretty rare since she doesn't generally see herself as a visual artist. I wish she hadn't asked while I was prepping dinner - I'm not sure I'll get that opportunity back.

Monkey- our painter and ballerina - is taking a break from dance this summer and doing some intro lessons in guitar and piano. Her long fingers work magic on the keyboard, even though she's only had a few lessons. She's also signed up to take violin through the school next year, which she was quite reluctant to even consider a year ago.

Each of our girls is freely taking artistic risks and exploring new avenues. For both Monkey & Peanut this is a pretty big change. They used to be reluctant to try anything unfamiliar. Monkey is starting to recognize how creative her thought processes are and is trying to harness it. (She started a series of baby picture books that are pretty good. I hope she'll finish a few of them.) Peanut is starting to understand the amount of work it takes to hone talent and will choose to practice without prompting at least once a week. And Puddin' is busting out all over. She's dancing, doing percussion, and singing her heart out. Shout out to Papa, if he's reading - she loves drumming, especially on bellies. Sometimes she'll sing a little bit and then say to me in all seriousness "I just made up that song."

This weekend we take Monkey & Peanut down South to Stan's parents for a month. They get to run and swim and have sleepovers and generally be little girls for days on end. Among the many things on my list to pack is two guitars. In my mind's eye I can see them now, each proudly wheeling her suitcase with her guitar case strapped to her back. If they were just 6 inches taller it could be the picture of going off to college, or on the road for the first gig. I love watching them grow, especially into such beautiful works of art. I'm sure gonna miss them.

2 comments:

  1. Postscript: My mood is less funky now that I've taken time to process and verbalize. Thanks to those who read these ramblings, because knowing you're there helps keep me accountable to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heartily agree with Puddin' - I like it when you sing too! :)

    ReplyDelete