Saturday, March 20, 2010

Dada on airplane

Stan is on the other coast this week. After seeing him off at the airport earlier today, Puddin' and I had a mostly uneventful day. We laughed and played and read books, with only a few minor meltdowns. After her bath, Puddin' resisted going to bed, screaming loud and long. When I went in to check on her I asked if she was sad. "Yeah. I sad because I so sad." "Do you miss the rest of the family?" "Dada on airplane. Not here." We took a minute to pray for Stan, for Puddin', and for Monkey & Peanut who are at their mom's this weekend. Afterwards, Puddin' lay down and asked me to tuck her blanket around her. I wish I could be comforted by something so simple.


I'm single-mom this week, which has me a tad bit stressed. This weekend I just have Puddin' to distract me. Then on Monday, Monkey & Peanut come back to our house and we go back to the usual weekly pattern. On a normal day, I race through all the kid and house stuff and then Stan gets home just about the time my energy (or patience, or sanity) is about to run out. The kids run to greet him, he rushes to kiss me, and everything turns out just fine. I'm really going to miss those kisses.


Mostly likely things will still be just fine - we've got strong relationships and good routines here - but something is missing when Stan's not here. He's steady and strong. He keeps his cool long after I've run out of steam. He sees humor even when things aren't going according to plan. If only he didn't have to go away I think I could handle this situation just fine.

Hope it's a great trip, honey, but hurry home.

No comments:

Post a Comment