Monday, January 11, 2010

The Nefarious Diaper

We had a sitter at our house tonight while I was at my guitar lesson. Puddin' started clinging to me rather tightly when the sitter came in the door, even though she's had many good experiences with sitters, and this one in particular. As I left, she was letting Peanut snuggle and comfort her for much longer than usual. According to the sitter, the eye-rubbing Puddin' went down to bed almost as soon as I left.

Fast forward 90 minutes: The sitter went home, and I went into Puddin's room to see if her blanket was on her. I got to the crib and was greeted with a bright, cheerful "Hi Mama!" She stood up, continuously saying my name and "Mama coat off." Then she said "I want diaper change." I checked the diaper but didn't notice anything. I figure she's got her reasons so I lay her down on the changing table. Puddin' calls out "Cookie Monster off." I look at the barely wet diaper and ask "is that why you wanted a diaper change?" She smiled, said "uh-huh," then checked to see what character I was putting on. (Elmo was approved.)

I put her back in her crib, she turned over as if to sleep, and I haven't heard a peep. I wonder, though, whether she's still awake and plotting her next coup.

2 comments:

  1. It's so great that she can ask for a diaper change.... So far, Sophia hasn't deigned to inform us that she even needs one very often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puddin' is a very enthusiastic communicator. She's usually quite calm and matter-of-fact, even when she's unhappy. "I no eat peas. I want bread." in a very even tone of voice.

    ReplyDelete