Friday, January 29, 2010

Because I said so


My kids are begging for homework. How fabulous is that?

Today was a teacher work day so we tried to sleep late. (The cat came within inches of her beautiful, furry life for the yowling that woke us all.) By the time Stan left for work the kids were already starting to fight. ugh. Never start fighting when I haven't had enough coffee. I decided the arguing told me two things: they needed time apart and they needed structure. I sent them each to a different section of the house to clean for 20 minutes. They went without arguing or complaining. (See, I knew they needed time apart.) After some great cleaning, which they were quite proud of, I gave them their homework for the day. "Homework? Why?!" "Because I want you to." "ugh." They had to read any book of their choice (except toddler books) for 20 minutes. They needed to do 20 minutes of math on their level. They had to do 20 minutes of science play. All of this, before 3 p.m. "That's it? and really that long to do it?" "That's all I ask."

Each of them spent about at least 30 minutes doing math games online. The had a blast with the electronics kit, playing much longer than 20 minutes. And as usual, they read past the timer because the book was just so good. "This has been so fun! I want more homework tomorrow!"

I didn't pull out anything new today. These are things they know are always available to them, yet they are reluctant to choose them. Peanut is begging for more assignments but the truth is, she is free to choose them at her own will, anytime she wishes. The eternal question that haunts all parents: why won't they just do what they know is good for them, especially when they know they'll enjoy the results?

Then I think about my own week. I spent over an hour watching a crime drama that wasn't totally thrilling, rather than doing housework I know I'd be proud of. I spent Tuesday night on the computer and watching tv at the same time. The tv volume was low enough that I had no idea what was really going on, and I wasn't totally engaged in the game I was playing. I didn't quit either one, though. Each day, I put off practicing guitar so that I never get any better but I don't like picking it up just to play because I'm not good enough.

Maybe someday I'll get it right. Someday I'll value my own time enough to spend it well. Maybe I'll be setting a glorious example before they move out of the house. In the meantime, how much "homework" can I dish out before they catch on?

No comments:

Post a Comment