Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Post 101

In my couch-ridden flurry of words yesterday I managed to get up to 100 blog posts. I like marking milestones so here I sit, writing post #101

In the academic world, 101 signifies the basics or an introduction. Writers and publishers often use 101 as a seemingly random number meaning a lot. [101 Uses for Cow Manure; 101 Ways to Save the Astroturf; 101 Questions to Ask Your Future In-Laws.] Of course, I'm also required by marital vows to know that 101 = 5 in binary.

5, as a discussion topic, isn't going to get me very far. [Unless you want to hear about my upcoming birthday - on the 5th of a winter month. I'm a big fan but am honest enough to admit that most of the rest of the world doesn't care.] I don't want to spend time coming up with 101 examples of anything so that idea is right out. I guess that leaves me with the back-to-basics idea.

I went back and re-read some early posts to remind myself why I set out to blog in the first place. Here's how I described myself in my very first post: I'm introverted, quiet, serious. I am independent. I crave solitary contemplation and study. I'm also married with two gorgeous step-daughters, a precocious toddler, a dog and a cat. I'm outnumbered....My reason for writing is simply to stake my claim, to stand my ground, to try to keep my sense of self and my sanity in the midst of loving these voracious minds and hearts. I love my family and I love my life. Mama just needs a little space.

A year and a half later, many of those needs are still the same. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of sanity to spare but I'm grateful for my little space away from the high volume of life. Thanks for coming to visit me here. And if you find any spare serenity feel free to send some my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment