Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Trouble In Mind

Today I have the urge to make trouble. I want to make messes instead of cleaning them. I want to try something new. I want a day that is spontaneous, creative and preferably childlike.

Today is IHOP's National Pancake Day. A free short stack might help ease the urge. Sitting at the restaurant doing a crossword would be a nice addition. I'm not sure it's quite the right activity, though. The messy quotient is way too low.

The soft-play room at the rec center would certainly be child-like. Puddin' would have a blast climbing, bouncing, and throwing herself on the floor. Somewhere around here I think we have some coupons for paint-your-own pottery. Certainly creative and messy, especially with a toddler. There are far more museums, galleries, and exhibits than I can count. So many options and yet nothing seems quite right. I think the trouble is with me.

Being wife and mother is sometimes in conflict with my wanderlust. There are chores to do, meals to plan, schedules to keep. There are also roads I haven't driven, hills I haven't hiked, places I haven't visited. In the face of a world waiting for discovery, how much does the laundry really matter? In the face of cold, naked children, how relevant is the bigger world?

Today I'll probably choose to be the responsible adult. I've got people counting on me, afterall. But if you see my cold, naked children walking themselves to school please give me a call.

4 comments:

  1. Take the kids with you! I've seen lots of parents do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to! At this point they tend to whine, which mars my experience. I'm trying all sorts of things to toughen them up a little so hopefully they'll be up for grand adventure sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I have the babies on Monday, instead of Friday of next week. Want to go make some messes with everyone? :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer - it looks like I'll be around so that would be grand. A&K would LOVE a chance to play with M&P. Let's chat tomorrow about options.

    ReplyDelete