Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cycles Gladiator

Cycles Gladiator
Chardonnay 2006
Central Coast
about $10

It's been ages since I reviewed any wines. I've said it many times in this blog but in case you missed it, it was a really busy fall! I've certainly drunk my fair share of wines this fall but most evenings I enjoyed them for the bliss they brought and not for any complexity. After a little vacation - and with every candle in the house adding calming ambiance - I finally feel up to the task of writing a review.

Good little wine snob that I am, I picked this wine for the label. The label uses whimsical art from the late 19th century, true to the spirit of the times. The wine makers would like you to believe that that same spirit is encapsulated in the wine. The label also happens to include a naked woman, which got this wine banned in the state of Alabama. So for all my family down there in Alabama, this one's for you!

Cycles has classic peach and blossom flavors often found in California Chardonnay but this one is incredibly light. Since the wine did not seem to touch any oak, the subtle tastes are able to sparkle. We had it with pork chops cooked in pear jelly (made by Pete and Anne: Thanks again!) and it matched the feathery sweet flavors nicely. Sitting around after dinner sipping gently, the wine doesn't quite hold up to the evening. It would, however, be delightful sitting on the porch in August - especially in Alabama.

No comments:

Post a Comment