Thursday, October 14, 2010

Beauty vs. Drama: Battle of the Queens

Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have beautiful kids. I live in a beautiful part of the world. My handsome husband has a beautiful soul. I have some beautiful shoes. There is much beauty to behold in my world.

Sometimes I have trouble seeing beauty because there's too much drama in the way. Emotional drama does a good job of obliterating the joy of a beautiful moment. Kid drama sucks the life out of me like no other since I'm reminded that I'll be spending time with them for many years to come, whether or not they've outgrown these behaviors.

One of the kids got mad at school when she lost a game so she threw the game pieces across the room. Her lack of self-control makes for intense, hard to process drama. Another kid feels her emotion bodily so every negative emotion becomes a stomach or headache. Eventually, in dramatic fashion, stress becomes vomit.  And, of course, toddlers are pretty much designed for drama. Me-do-it turns to screaming rant in seconds, often without warning or obvious way out.

It's not all drama, of course. I love the beautiful glow on their faces when they feel proud. I love the beautiful toddler run. I love the beautiful curiosity & creativity. I love the beautiful ambition to do more each day. I love beautiful moments when none of them around.

Kid-free moments bring hope for serenity. Kid-free beauty can be savored in quiet rather than experienced prosaically.  Kid-free time brings freedom to explore without fear of destruction.

This weekend Stan and I will have a blissful 24 hours kid-free. We don't have any fancy plans but the simplicity is part of the beauty. We will pluck tasks from our to-do lists, seek out creative expression, and enjoy the vast silence. Life is already looking more beautiful, just knowing that for a brief time - and soon - we will not be outnumbered.

No comments:

Post a Comment