Thursday, September 9, 2010

The blues are like spirituals, almost sacred. When we sing blues, we’re singing out our hearts, we’re singing out our feelings. Maybe we’re hurt and just can’t answer back, then we sing or maybe even hum the blues. When I sing ... what I’m doing is letting my soul out. - Alberta Hunter, American blues singer 

Alberta Hunter had a storied life that gave an extra boost to her already powerful voice. I'll never sing like that but I hope that when I'm 80 I can look that joyful. In my harried days, joy is sometimes covered in blue shadows.

It's been a rough week here, getting the 5 of us used to a new life routine. School has started, meetings are up and running again, lessons and classes too. As much as I love this time of year, the uncertainty about how it all works together has given me some sleepless nights. In my sleepy angst, I turn to music.

I can get through my happy times without music, although I much prefer a soundtrack whenever possible. I can't get through my tough times without music, though. My soul feeds on music as my lungs feed on air. Sometimes it's the songs Puddin' makes up to explain her day, other times it's great jazz from our local station. On the really blue days, the most soothing music is home made (but rarely the blues.)

This week someone gave me an electric bass. Bassists are often brooding types. The ones I've known are quietly passionate. They set mood and tone for music without much overt play for attention. Something about that role calls out to me. My soul - bruised yet hopeful - can't wait to come out and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment