Sunday, September 6, 2009

Bewitched & Bewildered


Last year for Halloween we had some great costumes in our family. Two out of the three even won awards at the Fall Festival costume contest. Peanut went as a rockstar - including a child sized studded collar and pink streaks in the hair. Monkey went as a woodland sprite (tree fairy) and made her costume by hand. Puddin', who was quite unaware, was dressed in her white fleecy jacket and went as a sheep.

It's time to start the costume conversation again but this time I may not get much input. If the custody rotation for weekends stays as it currently is then Monkey and Peanut will be with their mom for the festive day. If she's the one taking them trick-or-treating then she'll likely want control over the costumes. I'm not super picky about their costumes, but I do love helping the girls with creative process. I like watching ideas grow and develop in their brains until they have enough ownership over an idea to do the work to make it happen. It's a glorious process to watch. When I get taken out of the loop I worry that the process might be something closer to "which Disney princess would you like to be this year?" I certainly hope not - these girls are far too creative and thoughtful for an easy out like that. I think they're beginning to see some of that so hopefully they'll stand up for their own ideas and come up with something worth showing off to their friends and neighbors.

Now, as for Puddin', I'm still in charge - and it matters more this year. She's old enough to go to a few neighbors houses. She's also old enough to take all her clothes off if she doesn't like the costume I put together. I'm not too keen on the idea of picking something for her but the concept is so new that I'm pretty sure she can't choose for herself. I'm looking forward to the day when I can engage in the same creative process with her and help her express who she wants to be. In the meantime, I welcome easy, toddler-friendly costume ideas. Help please!

1 comment:

  1. Rumor has it that they're making a Wild Things movie. I'm not sure how easy it would be to make a Wild Thing, though. I think Penny was a caterpillar last year, although I'm pretty sure that was a store-bought costume.

    ReplyDelete