Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Starting Now


School doesn't start until after Labor Day but due to the summer visitation schedule we're having our last week of summer with Monkey & Peanut. Before they came home today I found myself hoping we could have some relaxing time together without any agenda. That's pretty rare, partly because I don't do so well with just leaving well-enough alone. I like them to be on task, engaged, and learning. Those aren't bad things, by any means, but too much of that structured stuff makes for a stifled childhood.

Not long after getting home, Monkey & Peanut decided to play Mancala but neither remembered the real rules (if they ever knew them.) They were arguing over how to play and who was right. They had decided to give up altogether when I walked into the dining room. Puddin' was happily pushing her stroller around so I stayed to guide them through the rules. I talked them through decisions and helped them figure out strategies. Peanut mentioned that the game is more fun than when she played with her friends. (See - rules and structure CAN lead to fun!) Monkey was captivated by the idea that she had some control, and it wasn't all up to chance. After a successful game they decided to take on the challenge of facing me as a team. They remembered a lot of the strategies we talked about and delighted in trying to trick me. They also managed to work well together and keep good attitudes, which borders on miraculous.

After Mancala they wanted to try a new game so I taught them Crazy 8's. (Puddin' was still happy as a lark putzing about the house or sitting in my lap playing with my cards. She's such a happy toddler.) They caught on pretty quickly and we had a rollicking game. Peanut's attention span isn't quite as developed so she kept drawing when she had a card to play. She got frustrated but with a few reminders she was able to cut the whining and enjoy herself. Luckily for her sake we played open hand so Monkey and I were able to gently guide her to wiser decisions. I had to bend the rules a little towards the end to speed up the play - otherwise we would have been playing all the way up until dinner. I think Monkey and I could have managed that quite easily but the younger two were starting to lose a little patience.

It was a delight to play with the kids. I know how fun they are but I don't always choose to remember. I know how wonderful and good-hearted they are but I don't always allow myself to see it. This is the part of parenting that trips me up over and over again: I have trouble being in the moment that is actually happening right now. I'm always planning ahead, looking forward, searching for ramifications or consequences. I'm missing out on a lot of good things happening around me everyday. There are very good things here in our now. I want to cement these images in my memory so I choose play more often but even that is forward thinking. Instead, I will simply say this - I enjoyed today. Today I love my kids. Today was a good day.

3 comments:

  1. I agree--games are meant to have rules/structure. When one person tries to get around the rules it stops being fun for the other participants. And if the people who aren't having fun decide to quit it won't be fun for the rule-breaker either.

    We play Uno (open hand) with our 5 year old daughter--but I would like to teach her new games. I recall playing Crazy *s at some point but don't remember it? How old are M&P? Would the game syou mention be 5-year old friendly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark - Monkey is 9 and Peanut is 7. The game is mostly matching so it would probably work for a 5 year-old. The big stretch would probably be patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rules and structure are, to a certain extent, good for kids. It lets the kid feel safe, know what's okay and what they'll get in trouble for. (They don't always choose to heed the rules, but at least they know.) Once they know those things, they can get on with the process of learning and having fun. Unfortunately, it's easiest to see the benefits of rules and structure when you're dealing with kids who don't have them...

    ReplyDelete